<$BlogRSDURL$>
My tweets

    Site Feed - Site Feed

    My other writings
    Cricket 24 x 7
    Jaagruthi
    Yahoo! 360
    Mayajaal
    My Bloglines
    My 43 things
    My LinkedIn
    My Facebook Profile On Orkut

    Mail me
    About me
    FlickrFlickr Feed

    Yahoo! Search



    Baakiyon ke blog
    Badri's Tamil thoughts
    Ganesh's Happily Haphazard
    Nitin's Acorn
    Prabhu's Pethals
    Raghu the reluctant Delhiite
    Samanth's blahg
    Sankhya the busy idler
    Srini the movie critic

    Creative Commons License
    Rabble Rousing Random Ramblings by S Jagadish is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

    November 27, 2005
     

    Language paranoia: Hyderabad v Bangalore

    Last Wednesday and Thursday, I was in Hyderabad, the land of Mohd. Azharuddin and Harsha Bhogle. But my thoughts were hardly about those two. Instead, I spent most of my time wondering about what might have been.

    If I had gone there this time last year, I would have found Raju Mama alive. I couldn't help but keep wondering about how ridiculous it was. It still only seems like yesterday that he came to Bangalore to visit ailing folks on his "sammandi's" side. Did the stress of that visit, by bus, worsen things to the point of no return? I don't know. Appa and Amma told me about how he could have been saved had Apollo Hospital done simple things like have a functional oxygen cylinder ready in the ICU, ensure the hospital staff were accessible (this when it was 7 am in the morning) and be able to reach the duty doctors immediately. They did none of the above. Life moves on though. I had gone there to recruit folks for Yahoo! Bangalore.

    The thing that really struck me on our way from the airport to the university campus was the near absence of local language (Telugu) signs. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, or the nature of the localities we travelled in. But it was in striking contrast to what I find in Bangalore. Here, shops, companies etc. face the wrath of the self-styled protectors of Kannada if they do not have Kannada on their signs. Is it anyone's case that Kannada faces a greater threat from the outside world than Telugu (or any other Indian language for that matter) does?

    On Thursday, I had a breakfast at Kamath's, on MG Road near Paradise. I chose to once again go with my masala dosai index to determine the restuarant's standard and price. The masala was short on salt but the price was ok.

    When I returned home on Thursday afternoon, I wasn't met at the door by a beaming Jaagruthi. I saw her perched on the sofa watching television. When I called out to her as I normally do (Heiiiii Jaagruthi!), she gave me something approaching a scornful look and turned towards the television. Apparently she had missed me on Wednesday!

    Labels: ,



    Some of the sites linked in my rants may require registration/subscription. Links within my ramblings open in a new window.
    Some of the links may now be broken/not take you to the expected report since the original content providers may have archived/removed the contents.
    All opinions expressed are mine alone. My employers (past, present or future) are in no way connected to the opinions expressed here.
    All pictures, photographs used are copyrights of the original owners. I do not intend to infringe on any copyright.
    Pictures and photographs are used here to merely accentuate and enhance the content value to the readers.


    Previous Posts
    Bihar: From known devil to unknown whatever

    The Left's continued Karat and stick approach

    Bees saal baad!

    The Pakistan military's attitude towards the earth...

    Rushdie: The greatest calamity of all may lie ahea...

    The Flickrization of Yahoo

    The India-US deal: nuclear or unclear?

    India improve more than Brazil and Holland in FIFA...

    A fascinating way to use IMDb

    Pakistan wants Indian helicopters, but not the pilots

    This page is powered by Blogger.