<$BlogRSDURL$>
My tweets

    Site Feed - Site Feed

    My other writings
    Cricket 24 x 7
    Jaagruthi
    Yahoo! 360
    Mayajaal
    My Bloglines
    My 43 things
    My LinkedIn
    My Facebook Profile On Orkut

    Mail me
    About me
    FlickrFlickr Feed

    Yahoo! Search



    Baakiyon ke blog
    Badri's Tamil thoughts
    Ganesh's Happily Haphazard
    Nitin's Acorn
    Prabhu's Pethals
    Raghu the reluctant Delhiite
    Samanth's blahg
    Sankhya the busy idler
    Srini the movie critic

    Creative Commons License
    Rabble Rousing Random Ramblings by S Jagadish is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

    June 13, 2003
     

    Society & Religion


    One of the main reasons I'm agnostic is directly related to one of my pet peeves. Why do all religions (well at least the ones I'm familiar with or encounter in the neighbourhood) religiously (sorry for the pun) conduct their mass gatherings/call to prayer etc. in the wee hours of the morning so frequently? Whether it is the Maariyamma songs (filmi and non-filmi) blaring out of the speakers or the muezzin's call or the sermonizing from the nearby church, why does all of that almost always happen at 5 am, especially when I've only managed to sleep at midnight? Why can't people pray in silence? Why does it always have to be publicized? Little wonder we have riots at the drop of a hat. The best way to antagonize communities is to take a religious procession along a route where their deity allegedly resides, and no, not a silent procession. One of the full throated variety, almost sounding like they're at a cricket match.




    In the last month we've read a couple of cases of young women casting aside years of social subjugation and reporting their to-be in-laws and husband to the cops for demanding too much dowry. I do agree it is has the potential to be a turning point in the way society treats marriages. However the bit to wonder is this: Both Nisha (Delhi) and Vidya (Madras) took the step to go to the police only when they felt that the dowry demands were going beyond the agreed quantity. So inherently, they are not opposed to their parents giving dowry per se, but they're against it when it exceeds a certain agreed value. I suppose before women's organizations go to town by portraying these two as what all young women of the country should aspire to be, they must think about it. The concept of dowry is so deeply rooted that even young women and men who seek to rebel against society by opposing dowry cannot do it wholeheartedly because there are issues of family honour (maanam, izzat, maan etc.) at stake. So they compromise by opposing only when the demands reach a critical point. Surely this is just a half hearted movement then.



    Some of the sites linked in my rants may require registration/subscription. Links within my ramblings open in a new window.
    Some of the links may now be broken/not take you to the expected report since the original content providers may have archived/removed the contents.
    All opinions expressed are mine alone. My employers (past, present or future) are in no way connected to the opinions expressed here.
    All pictures, photographs used are copyrights of the original owners. I do not intend to infringe on any copyright.
    Pictures and photographs are used here to merely accentuate and enhance the content value to the readers.


    Previous Posts
    Quotably yours Why do they call it rush hour whe...

    General Once again a long delay in updating. I wa...

    Technology & Business Rest In Peace With Micro...

    General Why do dogs specifically prefer creating ...

    Personal 3rd a/c ticket to Chennai    Rs. 463 A/C ...

    General Glory to Indian Railways. Trains run on t...

    Cricket It just struck me that Mike Procter's dec...

    Cricket Glenn McGrath, that paragon of Aussie on-...

    General Can you blame the system or the individua...

    Music I've noticed a queer trend in tamil film so...

    This page is powered by Blogger.