<$BlogRSDURL$>
My tweets

    Site Feed - Site Feed

    My other writings
    Cricket 24 x 7
    Jaagruthi
    Yahoo! 360
    Mayajaal
    My Bloglines
    My 43 things
    My LinkedIn
    My Facebook Profile On Orkut

    Mail me
    About me
    FlickrFlickr Feed

    Yahoo! Search



    Baakiyon ke blog
    Badri's Tamil thoughts
    Ganesh's Happily Haphazard
    Nitin's Acorn
    Prabhu's Pethals
    Raghu the reluctant Delhiite
    Samanth's blahg
    Sankhya the busy idler
    Srini the movie critic

    Creative Commons License
    Rabble Rousing Random Ramblings by S Jagadish is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

    April 13, 2007
     

    'Daughter of the East' wanted to go further east

    In a new revision of her autobiography, "Daughter of the East", Benazir Bhutto has claimed that Mirza Aslam Beg, in 1989, and Pervez Musharraf, in 1996, had offered/claimed to capture Srinagar. Extracts from this autobiography are being published by Outlook magazine, in the next issue.

    "I once again heard how Pakistan would take Srinagar if only I gave the orders to do so. Musharraf concluded the briefing with the words that a ceasefire would be in place and Pakistan would be in control of Srinagar, the capital of Indian-held Kashmir. I asked him, ‘And what next?’. He was surprised by my question, and said, ‘Next we will put the flag of Pakistan on the Srinagar Parliament’.

    "‘And what next?’ I asked the general.

    "‘Next you will go to the United Nations and tell them that Srinagar is in Pakistan’s control’.

    "‘And what next?’ I pushed on. I could see General Musharraf had not been prepared for this grilling and was getting flustered. He said, ‘And you will tell them to change the map of the world taking into consideration the new geographical realities’.

    "‘And do you know what the United Nations will tell me?’ I looked General Musharraf straight in the eye, as the army chief sat silently by and the room grew still, and pointedly said, ‘They will pass a Security Council resolution condemning us and demanding that we unilaterally withdraw from Srinagar, and we will have got nothing for our efforts but humiliation and isolation.’ I then abruptly ended the meeting."
    For one, this is hardly surprising. Everyone knows that Pakistan has always had one both eyes on Jammu & Kashmir. At least she made the sane choice. An attack on Srinagar would have been a disaster for Pakistan, politically & diplomatically for sure, if not a military one. She also refers to Pakistan deliberately disowning Pakistani soldiers who died in Kargil.
    An army-connected friend informed me that the dead bodies of soldiers were kept in frozen lockers and released in small tranches to prevent the news spreading of the high casualties inflicted during the conflict.

    Labels: , , , , ,



    Some of the sites linked in my rants may require registration/subscription. Links within my ramblings open in a new window.
    Some of the links may now be broken/not take you to the expected report since the original content providers may have archived/removed the contents.
    All opinions expressed are mine alone. My employers (past, present or future) are in no way connected to the opinions expressed here.
    All pictures, photographs used are copyrights of the original owners. I do not intend to infringe on any copyright.
    Pictures and photographs are used here to merely accentuate and enhance the content value to the readers.


    Previous Posts
    Rama was a 'Madrasi'!

    Two Neros

    Ambareesh quits Lok Sabha in protest

    Water - the flavour of the fortnight

    "No more remakes", swear Tamil and Kannada film ma...

    Heroes in the epics

    Shah Rukh on KBC was ok

    English is a very phunny language

    Apple's name change

    'The Hindu' goes overboard

    This page is powered by Blogger.