<$BlogRSDURL$>
My tweets

    Site Feed - Site Feed

    My other writings
    Cricket 24 x 7
    Jaagruthi
    Yahoo! 360
    Mayajaal
    My Bloglines
    My 43 things
    My LinkedIn
    My Facebook Profile On Orkut

    Mail me
    About me
    FlickrFlickr Feed

    Yahoo! Search



    Baakiyon ke blog
    Badri's Tamil thoughts
    Ganesh's Happily Haphazard
    Nitin's Acorn
    Prabhu's Pethals
    Raghu the reluctant Delhiite
    Samanth's blahg
    Sankhya the busy idler
    Srini the movie critic

    Creative Commons License
    Rabble Rousing Random Ramblings by S Jagadish is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.

    March 02, 2003
     

    Politics and Cricket

    So we managed to win that 'it is just another World Cup game' game yesterday. Funny how the same chaps come out at the post-match celebrations/ceremonies/press meets and say 'It was a big game and we needed to win it'. It is also very strange to see the Prime Minister and a few other prominent parliamentarians offer their congratulations to the Indian team after the victory v/s Pakistan. Surely if, as they put it all the time, sports and politics should not mix, why didn't they congratulate the team after the win v/s England? Why didn't they offer their consolations after the Aussie thrashing? That said, at least the win will shut up those like Aamer Sohail, Wasim Akram or Pervez Musharraf who claimed that the reason India backed out of playing cricket against Pakistan was because they were scared of losing.

    The scary bit is about how a lot of people (and some in the media too) are losing their perspective by saying that with this thrashing of Pakistan, India has already won its own World Cup. Cast your mind back to 9 March 1996, after Akram, Sidhu, Waqar, Jadeja, Sohail & Prasad (in that order) had helped India win against Pakistan in the quarter-final of the World Cup. At that time, everyone said the same too (I suppose in India as well as Pakistan). A few days later, I'm sure a lot of these very people would have either been part of the mob that ensured that the semi-final at Eden Gardens was interrupted and awarded to Sri Lanka. Well, even if they were not there, I have no doubt they'd have condoned the shameful acts of the perpetrators at Calcutta. I, for one, would any day take a World Cup league stage loss to Pakistan if India won the Cup!

    Labels:



    Some of the sites linked in my rants may require registration/subscription. Links within my ramblings open in a new window.
    Some of the links may now be broken/not take you to the expected report since the original content providers may have archived/removed the contents.
    All opinions expressed are mine alone. My employers (past, present or future) are in no way connected to the opinions expressed here.
    All pictures, photographs used are copyrights of the original owners. I do not intend to infringe on any copyright.
    Pictures and photographs are used here to merely accentuate and enhance the content value to the readers.


    Previous Posts
    Politics In the last couple of days, I've read rep...

    PoliticsA portrait of Veer Savarkar is to be unvei...

    PoliticsIs the NAM relevant any more? Among the me...

    Politics The rabid Hindutva folks are upping the ...

    PoliticsGetting tired of the government's repeated...

    This page is powered by Blogger.